We appreciate the Ministry recognition of trails in this announcement. We, and many of us worked hard to get trails included in this announcement over the last year.
Ontario to Stage a World-Class Pan Am and Parapan Am Games in 2015
August 28, 2013
Province Launches Strategy to Create a Lasting Pan Am and Parapan Am Games Legacy
Ontario is launching its Pan Am and Parapan Am GamesPromotion, Celebration and Legacy Strategy to increase the economic benefits and support them in becoming the People's Games.
The Games and Games-related investments will create more than 26,000 jobs - a boost of 11,000 jobs from an earlier assessment, and grow Ontario's real GDP by $3.7 billion from 2009 to 2017.
A key part of the strategy is a plan to celebrate and showcase Ontario talent from the stage to the stadium in local communities. The strategy will also create a lasting legacy for people across Ontario by:
- Enhancing support for live music, celebrations and festivals, adding to Ontario's reputation as a live music destination
- Helping kids stay active and healthy
- Encouraging families to get outside and enjoy Ontario's trails
- Strengthening business development opportunities in the Pan Americas for Ontario's companies
- Promoting volunteerism during the Games by organizing and training up to 20,000 municipal and TO2015 volunteers
- Supporting athlete and sport development at all levels - from amateur to high-performance athletes
- Showcasing Ontario's diverse communities, including Aboriginal, Francophone and LGBT communities.
- Supporting a memorable and successful 2015 Pan Am and Parapan Am Games is part of the Ontario government's plan to showcase the province, while creating jobs and positioning Ontario as a sport tourism destination for years to come.