Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Ontario Trail News July 13, 2022

 

Government of Canada invests in outdoor community sport and recreation infrastructure across Calgary Français

More than $720,000 in Canada Community Revitalization Fund support to revitalize four outdoor community recreation facilities for the benefit of Calgarians of all ages and abilities

CALGARY, AB, July 12, 2022 /CNW/ - The Government of Canada continues to invest in community-led initiatives that revitalize public spaces, encourage healthy communities, stimulate local businesses, and welcome visitors back. Accessible and modern recreation spaces are key to bringing people of all ages and abilities together, encouraging physical activity, improving mental health, and supporting businesses.



Ontario woman cycling across Ontario to raise funds for corneal research

/ Napanee Today

Ontario woman cycling across Ontario to raise funds for corneal research


An Ontario woman who lost her sight at the age of 50 is taking part in a tandem bike ride to help raise funds for further research.

myFM caught up with Amber Needham as she was finishing up her first of six weeks on the road.

Amber told myFM she is hoping to raise $80 thousand during her journey and how that money will be used.
Audio Player










Outdoors, in nature, surprises are inevitable — and that’s the beauty of it

As someone who often feels a need to control things around me, spending time outside forces me to let go, writes reporter Lex Harvey


The first (and only) time my parents sent me to sleepaway camp, I cried for two weeks straight.

I was 12 and a serious homebody — and admittedly a bit of a drama queen.

Driving up the gravel road to the canoe-tripping camp I was set to attend in Ontario’s Algonquin Highlands, I moodily stared out the window, Train’s Drops of Jupiter in my headphones, willing my parents to turn the car around and take me back home. To this day, that song still makes me a little emotional.

For practically the full 14 days in July, while the other kids swam in the lake and roasted marshmallows, I sulked and wrote letters home begging for my parents to come pick me up.

My mum can’t recall the specifics of those letters, but she said the central message “was that we had to come and get you RIGHT NOW.” My dad remembers one note including the zinger: “Why would you do this to me?”

Thankfully, there was a mail strike that summer, so none of my laments made it home in time.

Instead, my dad said he remembers what a big smile I had on my face when he picked me up, gushing about the new friends I had made and showing off a canoe paddle they had all signed for me.

The harrowing letters continued to arrive for about a week after I got home.

Read the Article






WHATSON
Tips to paddle your own canoe while in Parry Sound-Muskoka

Transport Canada recommends wearing a life-jacket or PFD at all times

Parry Sound North Star
Tuesday, July 12, 2022


Is there a canoe at the Parry Sound-Muskoka cottage or resort you’re staying in? Here are some tips to help paddle your own canoe.


1- Front and back


You can tell the front (bow) seat from the back (stern) in part by what in a car would be considered its leg room. The front seat has more space around.


Weekend road closures in High Park have had 'positive impact,' majority say in city survey

City consulting residents as part of its High Park Movement Strategy

A drone shot of High Park taken in April of last year. The city is studying how travel to, from and within High Park can be improved.

The city is studying how travel to, from and within High Park can be improved. The online survey results, recently released, are part of a first round of public consultation on what it calls its High Park Movement Strategy.

"The idea of the strategy is really to gather public feedback, understand the way that people use the travel network within the park and really to look at how we can improve safety, reduce traffic speed, support a number of different uses of the park and really make the best decisions around vehicle access, around pedestrian safety," said Jane Arbour, manager of stakeholder relations and issues management for the city's Parks, Forestry and Recreation Department.

Read Full Article


No comments:

Post a Comment