- Terri LeRoux Executive Director Credit Valley Conservation Foundation
- Mark Schmidt, Lead Trails Analyst, Parks Canada
- Karen Sun is a Natural Environment Specialist with the City of Toronto.
She has worked on developing and implementing Toronto's Natural Environment Trails Program.
- Wayne Terryberry, Coordinator, Outdoor Recreation & Altitude Team Development
- Nekeisha Mohammed is the Communications Officer at Conservation Ontario.
- Larry Frost, Executive Director, Native Cultural Centre of Toronto
- Mike Bender is the Associate Director, Master Planning and Greenspace Conservation, General Manager, Rouge Park at the Toronto Region Conservation Authority (TRCA).
- Patrick Connor, Executive Director, Ontario Trails Council, President Canadian Trails Federation
- Wendy Strickland, Natural Environment Specialist, City of Toronto
- Janette Harvey, Natural Environment Specialist in the Parks, Forestry and Recreation, City of Toronto
- Carolyn Woodland, OALA, FCSLA, MCIP, RPP Senior Director, Planning, Greenspace and Communications for the Toronto and Region Conservation Authority (TRCA)
She has worked with Waterfront Toronto, the National Capital Commission (Ottawa), the former Crombie Commission, and City of Toronto on many landmark planning and design assignments. She and her team prepared the award winning “The Living City Policies for Planning and Development in the Watersheds of TRCA”, setting new design and technical standards for green infrastructure in new and redeveloping communities.
Carolyn is a landscape architect and planner with almost 40 years of experience as an award winning consultant, academic (University of Toronto), and in public service. She has lectured across Canada on the importance of setting new community directions with an ecological view to planning and urban form.
A few of her trail planning and resource management/tourism projects include Discovery Routes of the Near North, Rouge Park Management Plan, Twenty Valley Tourism Strategy, and the Martin Goodman Trail at Humber Bay Shores.
- Jason Diceman, Senior Public Consultation Coordinator, City of Toronto
Join us November 24th, Ontario Heritage Centre, 8 Adelaide St. in Toronto for Trailhead Toronto - a discussion about Toronto Trails by the people that build, design, find and use Toronto Trails!
Learn more at trailheadtoronto.com
Register at: Trailhead Toronto
|8:00 – 8:45AM||Registration|
|8:45 – 9:30AM||Opening Remarks||Jack De Wit, President, Ontario Trails; Minister Eleanor McMahon MTCS*|
|9:30-10:00AM||Implementing Standardized Trails Classification||Mark Schmidt,Parks Trails Analyst, Parks Canada Visitor Experience Branch|
|10:00-10:30AM||Developing Natural Environment Trails||Karen Sun, Natural Environment Specialist (Acting) Toronto Parks and Forestry|
|10:45-11:30AM||Implementing Effective Wayfinding Signage||Janette Harvey, Natural Environment Specialist, Urban Forestry, City of Toronto|
|11:30 – 12:15PM||Implementing Accessibility Guidelines – City of Toronto||Karen Strickland, Community Accessibility Programs, City of Toronto|
|1:00 – 1:30PM||First Nations and Trail Signage||Larry Frost, Executive Director, Native Cultural Centre of Toronto|
|1:30-2:00PM||Justifying Trails in an Urban Environment – GHTA Experiences||Wayne Terryberry, Director, University of McMaster Recreation|
|2:00-2:30PM||The Ontario Trails Act and the Ontario Trails Strategy Implementation Plan||Steve Harlow, Assistant Deputy Minister, Ministry of Tourism Culture and Sport|
|2:45-3:15PM||Toronto Region Conservation Trail Development||Mike Bender, Director Master Planning and Greenspace Conservation Manager, Rouge Park TRCA|
with Carolyn Woodland
OALA, FCSLA, MCIP, RPP; Senior Director, Planning, Greenspace and Communications for the Toronto and Region Conservation Authority (TRCA)
|3:15-3:45PM||Mood Walks and Healthy Hikes||Nekeisha Mohamed, Communications Officer Conservation Ontario with Terri LeRoux, Director Credit Valley Conservation Foundation|
|3:45-4:15PM||Active Transportation and Trails in the City||Joey Schwartz, Advocacy Director, Toronto Bicycling Network|
|4:15-4:45PM||Toronto Trails Committee||Patrick Connor, Executive Director Ontario Trails|
|4:45 – 5:15PM||Thanks|