Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Aggressive cyclists break the law - Owen Sound Sun Times - Ontario, CA

"I 'share the road' with bicyclists whenever possible, including slowing down if it isn't safe to pass. However, the cycling community must somehow deal with some of their own, if this campaign is to succeed.

On June 12, I was stopped in the left turn lane at 10th. St. E. and 3rd Ave. E., waiting to turn to go west. The light turned green, but I didn't proceed. I watched a fit looking man (in his 30s or 40s) with a dark beard on a bicycle, wearing a helmet, run the red light in front of me. He then drove up between the two lanes of stopped traffic. He reached the 10th St. and 2nd Ave. E. intersection just as the light turned green, and then did a quick right turn, in front of the first vehicle in the right lane, and went north on 2nd Ave. E.

If somehow a car driver was able to do this, I would have been able to get a licence number, and vehicle description and contact police. All I could do was watch in amazement. Two of us that day 'shared the road' with that cyclist, and restrained our lawful driving actions to accommodate his unlawful actions."

Each user is a public face of his or her activity - OTC

No comments:

Post a Comment