|More Newsletter Here|
2) Question: Road Trail Intersection Improvements. OTC was contacted by Saugeen Rail Trail. They have been invited to present at more Ministry of Transportation meetings. They want to know - when two lane highways are re-developed, have any of you been able to secure trailhead improvements at the crossings, by way of the re-development? If so, what did you get? Please e-mail Jeff Hemming at firstname.lastname@example.org
3) Deadline Extended! to May 31st, 2013 - Support a Great Lakes Guardian Fund Grant. Great Lakes Guardian Fund applications due tomorrow. Last year OTC supported a Town of Deseronto CIAF Grant Application and the town got an $80,000 grant to re-develop their waterfront park and the Waterfront trail. As an OTC Member, Regional partner, or trail stakeholder would you consider writing a letter in support. E-mail me for our letter template you can use! Also please consider putting our OTC logo or OTC website as a link on your website!
4) Capital Funding for Trails - Please take a minute to complete the capital funding section of our survey. A s many communities head into the budget cycle other communities want to get an idea of the relative and comparative amounts communities of similar size are investing in their trails. Please go to:
Trailhead Ontario - Updates
General Membership AGM!
The Ontario Trails Council is providing notice to membership and guests that the OTC Annual General Meeting is at Noon June 10, 2013. In accordance with the OTC By-Laws, Notice of Nominations for the Board of Directors is hereby served. Download the nomination letter and forms here.
Program Snapshotclick image for all
Time Limited?Select 1, 2, 3 or 4 Day Participation options
"Kawartha Northumberland"-Trail Stories
Spelunking here we come! The conservation area takes its name from a series of seven caves found in the park. The caves were formed thousands of years ago at the end of the last ice age by the rushing melt waters of a glacier that covered Ontario. All you need is a flashlight or a headlamp to enjoy this natural underground jungle gym.
More information? Go to - Trailhead Ontario Call Patrick at 1-877-668-7245 or Vanessa Twiddy at 905-373-8752 | www.rto8.com
Trails Education - Select a Program!We have updated the program and our 14 module program is here for the using. If you have staff to train, trails to manage or want a session in your area on a particular topic let us know. We'll coordinate a session or series on your behalf.
|Volunteer Management||View PDF|
|Business Planning and Budgetting||View PDF|
|Regulation and Legislation||View PDF|
|Ecosystem and Natural Heritage||View PDF|
|Wilderness First Aid||View PDF|
|Food and Nutrition||View PDF|
|Marketing and Promotion||View PDF|
|Health and Safety||View PDF|
|Technology for Trails - Level 1||View PDF|
|Trail Design (2 days)||View PDF|
|Trail Risk Management||View PDF|
|Trail Committee Development||Manual|
|Trail Steward- On Line Learning||Program|
|Trail Planning - On Line||Program|
Trails Insurance Program AvailableOnce again, members of the trails community find themselves seeking alternative trails insurance. The volatility and unpredictability of your insurance plan keeping you hopping? Wondering what you are getting, curious if your agent or the underwriter understands trails?
If you want:
- cost stability
- product assurance
- insurance perseverance
- a broker that understands trails
Further to our recent discussions, I wanted to let you know that we have investigated various markets to get a sense of the appetite that insurers have for coverage associated with trails. Our findings suggest that coverage is available - but from a very limited number of carriers and that the cost of insurance in this class is not heading down anytime soon. The reality is that there have been losses associated with trails in general and that the frequency and severity of claims is on the rise.
On the positive side of the issue, we have had several specific discussions of late with our current carriers at Lloyd's of London and we are (collectively) very interested in ramping up our work with OTC to connect with your associates who manage trails. We and the insurers we represent are firm in our commitment to work collaboratively with the OTC trail community to develop a comprehensive risk management strategy that makes sense - and insurance is just one part of that strategy.
As for what trail insurance products we have "in the box” right now:
a) Commercial General Liability coverage —premium costs start at $1,000.00 for $2,000,000 coverage.
In the near future OTC will be bundling these products as a part of membership services and products.
Performance Measures - Trail Counts!
Low maintenance - Using weatherproof decals our methods allow users to quickly and easily provide you with information you need to assess, improve, direct, re-direct, or provide information to the user - while on the trail. Our proprietary method has been developed by over 140 trail users and with the input of The City of Thunder Bay and Norfolk County Trail Managers.
Packages - OTC Member? - Take $25.00 off each package!
Blue - 4-10 trails: $300.00 plus HST and registration fees
- Maximum 20 sheets of decals
Green - 10-20 trails: $500.00 plus HST and registration fees
- Maximum 40 sheets of decals
Gold - 20 or more trails: Starting at $1,000 plus HST and registration fees
Ontario Trails - Your Data Wanted
Since 2007 the Ontario Trails Council has collected trails data, and turned that data into our award winning website, as mandated by the desires of the trails community reflected in the Ontario Trails Strategy. Nearly 1,000,000 people a year turn to this information in order to find you and your trails.
At this time we are working on the feasibility of collecting more trail data for the MNR. This project money sustains the OTC, but the money is only derived if there is data collected. This is where we need your help. We need you and your trail to opt in before we start collecting because the MNR wants to know which trails we are going to collect data from. Is your trail one we can collect? The characteristics we are looking for are:
- Trailhead Longitude
- Trailhead Latitude
- Completion Time (hours)
- Elevation Change (m)
- Trailhead Elevation (m)
- Maximum Elevation (m)
- Cross Slope Average (%)
- Cross Slope Maximum (%)
- Minimum Trail Width (m)
- Average Trail Width (m)
- Maximum Grade (%)
- Average Grade (%)
- Trail Surface
- Trail Classification (Trail Group/Local Classification/Difficulty/ Rating eg: OFSC Trail Classes)
5. Trail Hazards (Poison Ivy, Steep Slopes)
6. Trail Fees (Day Pass, Donation, Parking etc.)
7. Seasons/Dates of Operation
8. Trail Amenities (Visitor Centre, Beach, Boat Launch etc.)
9. Trail Enforcement
10. Trail Permits
11. Trail Speed Limit
12. Trail Signage
13. Trail Environmental Concerns
14. Trail Permitted Use (Dogs on Leash)
- Date of Collection
- Data Collector
- Trail sensitivity (high /low)
Ontario Trails MembershipOn behalf of OTC we thank you for your support. If there is a group you know that is not a member contact us and we'll send them a note on membership benefits. This past week we received a renewal from the Park to Park Trail Association. Thank you very much for your support!